We love early summer here at Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards in Charlottesville, Virginia because it’s when much of our delicious fresh produce is ready to be harvested from the garden and used in seasonal dishes from the kitchen. We’ve been working with our certified horticulturalist Diane to put together a guide to some of our garden highlights this season. The Tasting Room at Pippin Hill features artisan cuisine that complements our wines and reflects our vineyard-to-table philosophy. Be sure to stop by Pippin Hill soon to take a stroll through our gardens and find out just how tasty our homegrown fruits and vegetables are!
Cool season vegetables:
- Kale – Red Russian and Siberian (featured in Diane’s Kale Salad, on the menu now)
- Lettuce – Tennis Ball, Red Skypos, and Encore (using for special events)
- Arugula (for arugula pesto & for salad on our favorite Croque Monsieur)
- Beets – Baby Beets and Chioggia (Italian beets that have a sweet and mild flavor, requested by Chef Bill Scatena)
- Garnish Peas – Dwarf Grey (shoots used for garnish and in salads)
Cool season fruits:
- Strawberries are ripening by the hour! “Mara des Bois” is a small, super-sweet woodland type strawberry, prized among chefs. Our “Allstar” variety is larger and is also exceptionally sweet. Chef Bill will be using them for desserts, including seasonal strawberry shakes.
With a few more months of summer left, there are plenty of warm season plants yet to be harvested. These include heirloom tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, sweet potatoes, and asparagus. We also can’t wait to harvest some tasty herbs and edible flowers! In addition to our garden, we also source produce from a variety of local farmers. When you order a dish from our Tasting Menu, you can rest assured knowing that it will feature the freshest fruits and vegetables that Charlottesville has to offer. We can’t wait to see you at Pippin Hill soon!